Monday, February 6, 2012

The Best Laundry Tip I Ever Got!

Hurray for Mondays!  I love 'em!  A long, long time ago I was not a Monday lover and decided to do something about it.  Why should there be a day of the week I don't love?  So, I set out to design my Mondays as a day to love. I started out by making Monday "laundry day" and not just laundry day, but I call it my "Happy Laundry Day". (Hey, I gotta convince myself first, right?)  The reason I like my happy laundry day is because I can get tons of stuff done in between washing, drying and folding.  I refuse to iron.......
A note about my aversion to ironing.... Years and years ago, I was married to a policeman and I washed, ironed and polished the brass on his uniforms regularly.  After a couple of years of this drudgery, I found out that he could get his uniforms cleaned at the dry cleaners....FOR FREE.  He knew this.  He just wanted me to do it.  Like I said....I used to be married to a policeman.  Sam, my current and final husband of 20 years, used to wear dress shirts everyday to work...I had a very fine appreciation of my dry cleaner, because his mother constantly bought him 100% cotton shirts and I was sooooo not ironing them.  When I bought him shirts I bought a cotton/poly blend, (he still looked dashing in them!) and I could pull them straight out of the dryer, hang them up and they were fine.  So...still not ironing!
Anyway, back to my happy laundry day.
I love the fact that I can play (i.e. craft, cook, maybe even watch TV) in between loads and still feel like I've accomplished a lot at the end of the day. Even though there are only two of us at home anymore, we generate a lot of laundry living in the country. My husband wears dress clothes to work everyday, and usually changes when he comes home to work outside.  If I'm doing outside work, I have "work clothes" as well.
Now, I'm going to share the best laundry tip anyone ever gave me.  It was given to me years ago by a friend and when I heard it, I loved it.  She said, "NEVER put everyones laundry away in their drawers or closets for them. EVER."  She said, "You've sorted it, stain-sticked, pre-treated, washed, dried, folded, hung up and carried it to their rooms.....THEY can put it away. Otherwise, they somehow start getting the idea that clean laundry just happens, or magically appears in their drawers and closets.  I found this to be true when one day, my very kind husband walked in the door on a laundry day and said (and not in a mean way) "Did you do anything today, hon?"  Now, he knows what I do on my Mondays because when he walks in the bedroom, all of his clean laundry is neatly folded and stacked on the bed or hanging on the closet door handle......just waiting for him to put away.
I love Mondays....now I'm off to try a new scone recipe....right after I throw a load into the dryer.
Hope your Monday is divine.

4 comments:

  1. funny story, good advice.

    Eldarose from http://RE-inventedstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danni, thanks for sharing your slant on Laundry Day. What you said is great advice. My kids used to think that their clean clothes just got there all by themselves until I started leaving the clean piles on their beds. Great minds think alike, LOL I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. I'm different in that I've always put everything away after washing and bloody ironing!

    BECAUSE my mother used to iron in the hottest part of the day just before us 4 kids walked the 2 miles home from school, in the humid tropics!

    We were greeted with the smell of the shellite iron
    [pre electricity days] and the sight of Mum tired and hot and clothes laid over every available surface.

    " If it's good enough for me to iron, it's good enough for you to put it away!"

    Guilty, did you say guilt. Loads of it so I vowed never to put my kids through that.

    Back to two of us now and so easy.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Danni! Almost makes me want to do laundry!!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete