Thursday, February 9, 2012

Gold & Girly Gift Can

This was an easy, fast and fun craft to do......my favorite kind!  This started out as just a paint can....
 and ended up being this.......
It has one of those fluffy feather boa things on top that seems to take on a life of its own.
Here's what you need:

1 One Qt. Paint Can (you can pick these up pretty much wherever paint is sold)
Wrapping paper (mine was gold and black with skeleton leaf imprints on it)
Ribbon
Cording
Double stick tape (I love that stuff!)
Tacky glue....love it too!
Something to put on top (in this case it was a piece of feather boa)
Sharpie Marker (not pictured...mine was black)

Here's what I did:
I measured and cut the wrapping paper to fit the can.  I put some double stick tape right on the can and fastened the wrapping paper to it.  I trimmed the bottom and top with black ribbon.
This is what I used to cover the lid:

I cut a circle of wrapping paper to fit the lid.  I don't have a circle template of any kind and couldn't find a compass to save my life.  What I always use when I want a circle is something from my pantry.  It is an unending source of various size cans and bottles and I have never failed to find exactly what I need.  In this case it was a jar of salsa. I brushed Modge-Podge on with a sponge brush and put the wrapping paper circle on, pressing any bubbles out that appeared.  Because a paint can lid is indented, you need to put something in the indented rim. I used cording.  I ran a bead of tacky glue all the way around and dropped the cord right in. You can't really tell, but I used a gold marker to cover the raised edge that would have otherwise been just silver.  Sharpies work really, really well on paint cans and they come in every color of the rainbow.  Yay!  I used a black one to touch up any place that silver was showing.  
Finally, I stuck a hair barrette that had a piece of black feather boa attached to it on the top (a leftover from a "Make Your Own Party Hat" New Years Eve party)...way more fun than just a bow... and there ya go.... a very gold and girly gift can and I know just what I'm putting in it!
Hope your day is just what you need it to be!
 

6 comments:

  1. How cute!!! I love it! I love the feather boa on the top! Very Fun! Thanks for sharing this at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill
    twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute!! I don't think I would have thought of doing this with a paint can. Thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the boa piece! What a transformation!

    ReplyDelete